20.1.06

So do you like rock, man?

It would be easy to start by saying- and I really want to- "ours is a generation of mixed tastes".

But that’s just because I want to say it ('Beached'from the Beach, anyone?). Actually, I have been thinking this for a while but I don’t know what to say about it…As Lisa Loeb comes off the back of Shery Crow and Counting Crows, from the place where guys tell you about what kind of music you like, I wonder what it is I do like.

I would always say I like rock, but I know too many people who would scoff at that. Mine is a superficial affinity for that kind of music, it would sometimes seem. Of course there’s Floyd- lots and lots o them. Then miscellaneous, and small, helpings- the likes of CCR, David Bowie, Led Zep, Dead, Tull, Deep Purple (really? I haven’t heard them in years actually, and all I remember from when I did is Smoke on the Water, I think)…The Allman Brothers Band…I have a feeling I just want to list the bands I listen to- often or rarely. What point is that going to serve? Bah.

There’s Dylan and his tunelessly melodic singing (or so they say), and bits that soundtracks from Forrest Gump and Almost Famous suggest…Buffalo Springfield and Rod Stewart, Elton John and Thunderclap Newman, Lynyrd Skynyrd and S&G. S&G, of course. War and rain and harmony and America. Them more than any others in this last group.

I am a little off U2 at the moment. Only these days, not at other times, when Joshua Tree remains one of my all time favourites (yes, over Rattle and Hum and Zooropa or anything else), but school had U2. And Guns and Roses in all their long haired, violent, beautiful video-glory. Aerosmith had a gun (and Alicia Silverstone), Def Leppard had Hysteria and tears (2 steps behind?), and Nothing Else Matters still does. I could go on listing songs from Sting , RHCP, Pearl Jam , Cranberries, Mr Adams, Billy Joel, even Al Stewart and his Sampan.

Now there’s Coldplay (cringe if you must). David Gray. Travis. Dave Matthews and his talking songs. Those songs by Creed. Alanis. Crazy, happy, sad, vitriolic, emotional Alanis.

I am bored now. Of writing this. Its headless. Because all I am trying to say is that I can’t really put a finger on what sot of music I listen to. There’s all kinds (though certain absolutely banned tracks come to mind- Ms Federline, return to the pit that you sweat in scantily dressed). So if someone says, “you like rock?”, I’d have to say yes. But that would be so…arbit.
Er, I should say vague.

And oh, I haven’t even started on Indian music. Just as well for you.

7 thoughts:

Jay Friday, January 20, 2006  

I like indie and rock. But more often than not, I find myself listening to r&b, pop music and -gasp- showtunes as well.

Yes, where my musical tastes are concerned I'm part boy, part teenage girl, part (very) gay man.

Inkblot Friday, January 20, 2006  

Think the WHO, Razorlight, chains and black leather (what was that Indian band?)but more importantly, dont think so much, let it flow,enjoy or not.
Music is not what you lay a finger on but what your feeling like and who you are at different points of time.
Sermon over.

Anonymous Friday, January 20, 2006  

hehe. why am I not surprised, jay:)

absolutely, inkblot. I agree with sermon. 'That Indian Band' is probably Indus Creed, which in their leather and chains avatar were Rock Machine (think "we're on top pf the world, and we're never going to give it up"); as Indus Creed I remember (and genuinely like) Pretty Child, but can;t seem to get it anywhere...

gawker Tuesday, January 24, 2006  

Have you tried trip hop...eg : Massive Attack. Just a suggestion from a rock convert.

Anonymous Tuesday, January 24, 2006  

me like Massive Attack. Cant claim to have heard all of their work, but 'inertia creeps' is one of my favourites

um ,not to give the impression i only like rock. sort of the point that I dont actually...

Anonymous Monday, March 27, 2006  

u dont have to fall in a category to like a certain music..music is much more than that...sometimes a lot more personal than anything..lol...vague stuff im talking here.

jo

Anonymous Thursday, April 26, 2007  

best regards, nice info brakes volvo Thrifty rental cars artarmon

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP