6.6.05

Thumbs out

I don’t expect movies to be as fulfilling as the books they are based on. I only hope that my prejudiced eye (one that has the book as a constant reference point) can enjoy the film without groaning about blatant divergence from the feel of the book. At least, that is what I hoped for in The Hithchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The movie could not possibly encompass the breadth of Douglas Adams’ ludicrousness (ludicrousness?), but once I had seen it I knew at least that it had tried to be true to the book’s craziness, and ended up doing a pretty good job.
The casting I thought was pretty good, though I was disappointed that none of the characters (barring possibly Arthur) got an opportunity to develop and be on display. (You never felt enough of Ford’s insouciance, for one) And though the plot ended up being little like the book, it still felt it was- which was fine by me. Without doubt what I remember most was the heart-warmingly accurate and skilful end product, that Marvin the Paranoid Android was. His body language was near perfect, and the gentle paunch in his metallic frame was a great touch. But Alan Rickman’s voice- that was what made Marvin just so perfect.

Easily the best thing I came away with from the film.

Now I can trudge off to read some real reviews. This, by the way is a good film site.

9 thoughts:

Citrus Monday, June 06, 2005  

who?

. Monday, June 06, 2005  

Hello citrus
ummm...sorry?

Citrus Tuesday, June 07, 2005  

sorry. i thought you were someone that i ought to know. but i couldn't for the life of me make out from your writing. i suppose a random 'who?' should fit with the theme of your blog though, if nothing else.
i've been quite enjoying your blog.
after the first month ie.[which was terrible by the way]

. Tuesday, June 07, 2005  

ah, thank you for the candour, citrus.
the first month was helpless groping. In some ways, I still am. But I care less, would like to think I am spontaneous more.

do you mean you happened to be following it from the first month or you actually went to the archives and discovered your folly?:)

Citrus Wednesday, June 08, 2005  

i usually start at the begining, and wrongly asuming you were someone i knew. why not.i changed my mind about you about three times before finally deciding that you are in fact rather entertaing after all.

Citrus Wednesday, June 08, 2005  

i went to the archives. came here from the agony aunt blog

Anonymous Wednesday, June 08, 2005  

ah well, all's well and all that.

thank you for the patronage, madame
one aims to please (please to aim accurately, i say!)one's aim is to please. one's please is to- er, no.
stop.
ramble not.

um, thenks i say...

yours, etc...

Citrus Friday, June 10, 2005  

you're Welcome :)

Citrus Saturday, June 11, 2005  

I forgot the big cheesy smile in the last comment.So here it is.
*big cheesy smile*

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP